Blogs > Lighten Up with Margaret

55-year-old Margaret Pizzi of Mentor hopes to battle back from years of physical problems to a healthier life. She's cut out processed foods and diet soda, which is a first step.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Working in some exercise

Feeling a little anxious about the 1st weigh-in.  It's gotten me better motivated to try to get some more exercise though. I really need some cardio and I've been so weak. It's so hard with my neck, shoulder, low back, right leg & knee problems.  Chronic pain is, well, a major pain.   It's a legitimate excuse for some exercises but I think helping to strengthen my "core" will help quite a bit. 

I previously discussed doing Zumba on Saturday at Pulse. I had trouble with my left knee and low back afterwards but by Sunday night it was all better than baseline.  Last night instead of working late as usual (I use work as an excuse A LOT) , I went to the Yoga class at Pulse Fitness Studio.  I couldn't do or had to modify movements almost 3/4 of the 1hr class.  It was really grueling for me but the instructor was great, encouraged me to just do what I could & corrected some of my movements but didn't make me feel self-conscious at all because I was so pathetic compared to the rest of the group.  At the end I was embarrassed and said that I had to work on some stuff before I came back but she encouraged me to continue with group anyway.  I think I will do that.

I have the upper and low back problems but usually have a "charlie horse" in my mid back most of the time.  At first the movements made things hurt more but I was surprised how much the movements ultimately helped by the end of class.  There was even a short time this morning that I was pain-free except for some minor neck aching and stiffness.  Don't get that much relief much!

Overall I'm feeling much healthier and stronger than when I started LightenUp.  I'm no longer short of breath by the end of the 0.38 miles walk to work from the parking garage.  I've actually just started to pick up the pace to get a bit of a workout on my way in!  A MAJOR improvement has been instead of my husband having to try to get an exhausted me out of bed to go to work I actually wake up before the alarm even goes off!

So even though I probably won't be in the top 3 this month, in my opinion I'm still a winner.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home