Blogs > Lighten Up with Margaret

55-year-old Margaret Pizzi of Mentor hopes to battle back from years of physical problems to a healthier life. She's cut out processed foods and diet soda, which is a first step.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

bummed

If only I had...? How many people have ever said that?

Got a lesson in that today that could have been much worse. If only I had started taking better care of myself earlier.  Apparently, ironically, after I started to take getting healthy seriously I have a preventable health crisis.

Despite my efforts to avoid taking rounds of oral steroids (haven't taken them for about 6 months) but needing to use a steroid inhaler I have suddenly grown a cataract on the inside of the lens  that has made me pretty much blind in that eye. It's a particular kind caused by steroid use even though I haven't taken them chronically, long term. In a little over a week I will have my last test, on a special machine and then they will call me to set up my appointment for an artificial lens transplant in my right eye.

I keep thinking if I would have lost the weight, if I would have eaten better and taken care of my body, I wouldn't have to worry about having a weak immune system and diabetes and obesity and maybe my GERD wouldn't have been so bad. It wouldn't have triggered chronic coughing, sinus, reactive airway problems and then bouts of bronchitis and pneumonia.  I wouldn't have had the need for steroids.  I could have used my money to celebrate my journey to a healthy weight and lifestyle by going on a vacation or got a new computer instead of paying thousands on medical.

So it's a lesson for some of you out there. Overall I guess I got lucky. It could be something much, much worse.  Some of you are saying you'll get around to getting healthy next week or next month. Well tomorrow you could have a heart attack or a stroke or one many of health problems that you could possibly have decreased your risk for by diet and lifestyle changes.

So I'm working on getting healthy and I challenge anyone who reads these blogs to do the same. My crisis is relatively minor, now that I'm over the shock of it. I'll just need an artificial lens inserted to be able to see out of my eye again. There's some people out there that may not even have a tomorrow unless they make changes today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home