Blogs > Lighten Up with Margaret

55-year-old Margaret Pizzi of Mentor hopes to battle back from years of physical problems to a healthier life. She's cut out processed foods and diet soda, which is a first step.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Diet Penance

My frustrations won yesterday and I broke my diet and ate non-healthy food. 

It started by being in a tizzy because I'd treated myself to supposedly Low Carb meal at Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  "Supposedly" because I could find no reference anywhere that says that I can eat 2 pieces of whole wheat toast for the net carbs they stated. Their smoked sausage patties are unique and I couldn't find anything similar either. They don't list nutrition information and say to go to two web sites that have a few items.  I ended up calling the corporate office and they gave me the run around and said they are "working on it".   Even if I'm not having a good day eating I obsessively log my nutritional intake (including cough drops and a Tums).  Guess that there's so much out of my control in my life that is something that's all in my control, good or bad.

Then busy day at work and my office-mate was calibrating some machine and it was squealing all day=headache.  With the weather change the office was stifling hot and with the sinus/allergy business going on with me I couldn't breathe and was starting to lose my voice.  Decided to leave early and check out the water fitness class at the Y and all THREE parking garage elevators were off and my car was on the top floor.  There's no way I can climb 8 double flights of stairs.  Thankfully my daughter-in-law came by to move her car closer to work and gave me a ride up but I had to walk the 4 flights to her car first.

Too late to make it to the Y class by then & my knee is yelling at me :-(. Traffic sucked.  Had to get gas and these days the prices are stressful.  I was feelin g frustrated and stressed and craving fried chicken. I ended up getting a fried boneless chicken breast at KFC. So the guilt set in.  It's OK if I plan to cheat like having a piece of my grandson's birthday cake and some pizza.  It's NOT alright when I cave to emotional eating (in my mind).

So I did diet penance and it was a good one.  I did 30 minutes on the treadmill at the Y at 2.5 mph, then I burnt off 100 calories on the Nustep machine. Fifteen minutes of  laps and exercises in the deep end before I started getting leg cramps. Spent 15 minutes in the whirlpool trying to hit all the ouchy places. Sauna & steam room then I showered and practiced standing yoga poses (tree pose, mountain pose, chair pose) while I was in there!

At the end of the day I was tired but feeling much better about myself especially since I'd gotten up to do the 6am Yoga class.  Also it proved that I can handle more exercise than I thought!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home