Blogs > Lighten Up with Margaret

55-year-old Margaret Pizzi of Mentor hopes to battle back from years of physical problems to a healthier life. She's cut out processed foods and diet soda, which is a first step.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Wrinkles and bat wings

I'm 55yo and have been blessed to look a bit younger than a lot of my peers I've been told. Unfortunately this is mostly due to my chubby face filling in the wrinkles I think!  I've resigned myself to looking a little older as my face thins in order to be overall healthier.

This morning however, although I've only lost an additional 5 pounds so far from last month (I think, but the scale and I aren't seeing each other anymore), it looked to me when I was putting on a sleeveless shirt that I'm getting the start of BAT WINGS.  You know what I'm talking about, that lose skin that some people can get under their arms.

I put a posting on a diet chat room and was told it was inevitable. NOT SO FAST.  I'm at higher risk because I'm older and I've gained a lot of weight and stretched out my skin but I did some research and there are some actions that may help.

This is a summary of what I found that most everyone can agree on.

1.       Diet at a healthy pace.  Crash dieting that causes rapid weight loss is a main cause of loose skin. Avoid crash diets and focus on losing no more than 2 pounds per week.

2.       Eat a nutrient rich diet.  A diet rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, proteins, and omega-3 fatty acids will improve your skin's elasticity and overall health.  Avoid foods processed with chemicals to give them a long shelf life. Stick to a diet rich in whole foods.  

3.       Make sure you get enough high quality protein in your diet. This help prevents the loss of lean muscle mass and is needed for the muscle you are building.

4.       Take a multivitamin. Making sure your body has all the nutrients it needs to repair and nourish itself is an important part of skin health.

5.       Hydrate your skin by drinking plenty of water. Hydrated, healthy skin can bounce back into shape easier. Water is also important for a body's functions, including skin repair. Try to drink at least 1 liter of water a day. Avoid carbonated drinks that strip your body of calcium and other vitamins and minerals.

6.       Exercise!!!. Exercise builds muscle and muscle acts as a support system for skin.

Building muscle is an important part of loose skin prevention. You want the muscle to take the place of the fat that is being lost to prevent too much sagging skin.


This one wasn't on all the sites but I personally will try this one too.

7.       Exfoliate your skin daily and use an intensive moisturizer twice a day. This will encourage elasticity and circulation to help tighten your skin.


Obviously despite me struggling to lose weight this month, this IS a contest so I won't lose sleep over it if I do lose more than 2 pounds a week in the future.  I DON"T hydrate enough and my diet really has been missing some vitamins & nutrients.  I'm working on getting that protein increased too.  I really need to get my act together to avoid looking like a Shar-Pei by the end of the contest


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home