Blogs > Lighten Up with Margaret

55-year-old Margaret Pizzi of Mentor hopes to battle back from years of physical problems to a healthier life. She's cut out processed foods and diet soda, which is a first step.

Monday, June 11, 2012

insensitive people

Just a short note:

I was just reading Cynthia's blog about how some people are so mean and judgmental or insensitive about people who are obese.  A simple joke or comment that you may even think is funny can be totally devastating for someone else.  They may NEVER get over it.

Let me share my experience.

There was a local church fair this weekend.  I told myself I would get over it but I still haven't been able to and still couldn't bring myself to go on the ferris whee.

Actually I was under 200 pounds at the time but still obviously heavy but I was standing in line at the ferris wheel with my 2 very small grandsons and we were waiting to get on.  He kept loading people on the ferris wheel that were in line behind us.  I asked why he wasn't letting us get on and he said loudly, obviously publicly "I have to find a place to put you because I can't have you throwing the ferris wheel off balance".  Cue snickers from the crowd.

I was CRUSHED. My chest literally HURT.  I had trouble breathing. After he finally put us on and we got off I had to go to the rest room and break down. THREE years later I still haven't been able to bring myself to go back on a ferris wheel with my grandchildren because of my public humiliation.

My chest is tightening and I want to cry again just thinking about it. It will always be one of the most painful experiences in my life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dennis said...

He should have been fired for this remark. That's no only insensitive it's just plain stupid.

June 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home