Blogs > Lighten Up with Margaret

55-year-old Margaret Pizzi of Mentor hopes to battle back from years of physical problems to a healthier life. She's cut out processed foods and diet soda, which is a first step.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Obstacles

Finally got back on track today, baby steps but it's positive progress.  The scale has been moving the wrong way with all the inactivity and getting all depressed because of the pain and craving carbs as comfort food.  I did learn something valuable through this though. I've found that although I'm less likely to go off on a binge if I don't totally deprive myself, the more I eat starchy carbs the harder it is to resist them.

My sister Sherry called today and noticed that I hadn't blogged and gave me a much needed pep talk.  Even got a little support from our ancient dog Sammy.  He's almost 16yrs old, blind and deaf from a brain tumor. He doesn't move much but after I got off the phone with Sherry he made the effort to come over to lick me like he was saying he agreed with what she was saying!  Seeing my "fat" picture posted in the paper also helped because I really want to look good for that ending photo in just 3 weeks! 

I'm still having a lot of pain but the TENS unit has taken off the edge a little bit. I went to the park to watch my grandchildren's fishing and then we went for a 1 mile hike in the woods.  Later finally got the motivation to make it to the Y and did 40 minutes of cardio. My speed, effort and time was much less than I have been doing but that's OK.  At least I got off the couch or out of bed. I may have to make it to my regular doctor tomorrow for pain medication. I hate pills but I have to be able to function until I can get some treatments done when my pain doc comes back into the country.

I made it through the day keeping the carbs and calories down too.  Not my strict menu but no "bad" food or starchy carbs.  For me the first full day after a slide is always the hardest.

I've been stumbling but I will overcome!

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it." Michael Jordan 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home